Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
Date: 05 May 2003 15:15:42 +0200

Peter Boettcher <address@hidden> writes:

> My crystal ball tells me that the distribution switch included an
> upgrade from Emacs < v21 to Emacs == v21, which now supports
> colorized tty.  Where the OP used to have straight white on black,
> or vice versa, he now has beautiful font-locked color in his xterm.
> I gather that the beautiful colors are the wrong choice for his
> xterm color scheme, for instance dark blue on black.  I think the OP
> is asking for the means to disable color completely on TTY, but he
> might be even happier with a quick way to force reasonable color
> choices for his (black background?) xterm.

Well, Emacs has different color schemes for light and dark
background, and it might have no clue about what you set the terminal

frame-background-mode's value is nil

*The brightness of the background.
Set this to the symbol `dark' if your background color is dark, `light' if
your background is light, or nil (default) if you want Emacs to
examine the brightness for you.  Don't set this variable with `setq';
this won't have the expected effect.

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `faces'.