Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs and Colors and RedHat
Date: 05 May 2003 15:15:42 +0200

Peter Boettcher <boettcher@ll.mit.edu> writes:

> My crystal ball tells me that the distribution switch included an
> upgrade from Emacs < v21 to Emacs == v21, which now supports
> colorized tty.  Where the OP used to have straight white on black,
> or vice versa, he now has beautiful font-locked color in his xterm.
> I gather that the beautiful colors are the wrong choice for his
> xterm color scheme, for instance dark blue on black.  I think the OP
> is asking for the means to disable color completely on TTY, but he
> might be even happier with a quick way to force reasonable color
> choices for his (black background?) xterm.

Well, Emacs has different color schemes for light and dark
background, and it might have no clue about what you set the terminal
to.

frame-background-mode's value is nil

*The brightness of the background.
Set this to the symbol `dark' if your background color is dark, `light' if
your background is light, or nil (default) if you want Emacs to
examine the brightness for you.  Don't set this variable with `setq';
this won't have the expected effect.

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `faces'.