Re: emacs-19.34 segfaults when built with Xfree 4.3.0(glibc2.3.x,gcc 3.2

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: emacs-19.34 segfaults when built with Xfree 4.3.0(glibc2.3.x,gcc 3.2)
Date: 12 May 2003 16:36:42 -0400

Hin-Tak Leung <hintak_leung@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

   (Sigh). I would have been a lot happier if one of you had
   replied with "get me a gdb back strace" than having to digress
   to lengthy philosphical discussion on reasons to use an
   older version, or resorting to foul languages.

although it is encouraging that you know yourself well enough to say
this, i confess to not feeling comfortable ordering you about like an
employee.  these lengthy discussions surely would be better replaced by
some concrete information (as "concrete" as information can be ;-), it
seems you're saying.  the reasons for using this version (or any version
for that matter) are not really germaine to debugging the problem, you
also note.

   As I said, I would prefer a "yes" or "no" to the gdb debug
   question. It isn't to difficult to answer either:
   (1) "possibly, depending on how deep the problem is; can't promise"
   (2) "Sorry no, no eperience with gdb whatsoever"

what if some people on the list respond (1) and some people respond
(2) -- what have you gained and/or lost by this exercise?

   But you are trying to draw into philosophical discussion again.
   (I guess that's still better than the "get a f*cking life"
   or "cheeky f*cker" replies)

a personal quirk, no doubt: all discussion is philosophical to me, even
those involving hard bits of free software artifact (both pre- and post-
core dump ;-).

   If I had sounded impatient, I had not resort to verbal
   violence as some others did.

sometimes the sudden move is easy to interpret as both violent and
beautiful, and sometimes funny and sometimes sad.  where there is room
for interpretation there is room for misunderstanding (and bugs!).

thi