Using non-latin XKB maps with Emacs CVS

From: Danilo Segan
Subject: Using non-latin XKB maps with Emacs CVS
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 18:31:50 +0200

I've created XKB maps for XFree86 4.3.0 to be able to use cyrillic alphabet in most of my programs, and still use C-[key] as if the [key] evaluates to the regular ASCII keyval.

The map is available at www.srpski.org/dunav/, and essentially, it has the special six-level keytype of the form:

modifiers=Shift+Mod5+Control
map[Control]=Level5
map[Control+Shift]=Level6
preserve[Control]=Control
preserve[Control+Shift]=Control

On the 5th level of cyrillic keymap is entire english alphabet, and this works correctly in all simple X programs (like xterm), and reportedly works in KDE (I have not tried it).

I'm using Emacs CVS from sometime in March with Gtk+ 2 GUI, but I cannot use the C-[key] bindings (Emacs just outputs the keyval, eg. cyrillic letter).

Is there a way to make this work? Has anyone succeded in working with a map set through XKB, and using the Emacs keybindings without changes? (I guess it would not be a problem to rebind all the keys, so C-[cyrillic_dze] would give me C-x and so forth, but I want to avoid that).

How does the Emacs perform keymap processing, and where does the Control get lost (when checking with "xev" it bit 0x4 shows up fine in state field)?

TIA

Cheers,
Danilo