Re: LilyPond (was Re: special symbol)

From: upro
Subject: Re: LilyPond (was Re: special symbol)
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 10:12:43 +0200

Guldo K <guldo@tiscali.it> writes:

> On Thu, 15 May 2003 17:31:52 +0200
> upro <upro@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Why don't you use Lilypond? AFAIK it's much more advanced than
>> MusicTeX, anyway (and still much less comfortable than Sibelius,
>> unfortunately...)
>>
>> Let me know...!
> WOW! Thank you very much! I wasn't aware of the existence of LilyPond! VERY
> NICE! A lot easier that musixtex. And it can be integrated in a tex document
> as well. :-))
> And there's the debian stable pckg too!
> I o u 1!
>
> But I have this little problem with grace notes. I'd like to have the grace
> note without the slash. I know there's

Did you have a look at the lilypond documentation? I don't recall it,
but AFAIR there was a way to get that... Let me know if you don't find
it in the html documentation.

> \grace {
> \property Voice.Stem \override #'stroke-style = #'()
> c16
> \property Voice.Stem \revert #'stroke-style
> } c4
>
> but I'd have to use it a lot of times...
> Isn't there anything similar to:
> \renewcommand\mygrace{.....}
> so that I could just use
> \mygrace c16
> in my document?
> Moreover, I have NO grace-init.ly file.

Well, I used LilyPond 1.6.4, and have a grace-init.el in
/usr/share/texmf/share/lilypond/1.6.4/ly/. I don't remember if I had
to install it seperatelxy or what... If you don't have it in the
package get the source code and tale it from there.

Anyway, I liked LilyPond, but if you have to typeset large pieces (as
entire concertos, or symphonies) it's imho very tedious to type every
note, particularly doubestops, chords etc.

When you come to compile a score of, let's say, 20 pages, LilyPond
uses up lots of TeX resources and you have to edit some of the TeX
configuration files in order to get it compiled.

I don't know how LilyPond would behave with a 300 page score, and I
don't want to run the risk of typing tons of music and then find out
that ly2dvi crashes because the file is too large...

I have on machine with a Win2k partition on which I run Sibelius 1.4
which is definitely nice and quick. I kinda abandined LilyPond some
months ago. ly2dvi's output looks nicer (of course), but Sibelius is
so much faster to use...

I'm interested in what you are actually writing: How large is it,
instruments, evtl. lyrics?

--
Michael Jelden

This moment's random quote:

"Last week a cop stopped me in my car. He asked me if I had a police
record. I said, no, but I have the new DEVO album. Cops have no sense
of humor."