Re: Understanding Emacs and Tabs

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Understanding Emacs and Tabs
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:37:55 +0200

"Bingham, Jay" <address@hidden> writes:

> Let me first say that I have learned a great deal about Emacs from
> your posts and I have a great deal of respect for you and your
> opinions.  However I think that your response was a bit hasty in
> this case.

Oh, there's someone being very careful.  I hope I can stand a healthy
dose of criticism :-)  Point taken, I hope.

> What you say may well be true if one has indent-tabs-mode enabled.

I think you meant to say disabled.  The default for indent-tabs-mode
is to be enabled.

Okay, so the full story is this: in the default Emacs configuration,
M-i will insert a tab up to the 120th column in a line.  And this is
very close to always.

And there are two variables that come into play: the variable
indent-tabs-mode and the variable tab-stop-list.

Yeah, maybe I'm trying to be too exact.  Maybe an introduction doesn't
need to be so exact.  It was just a knee-jerk reaction on my side --
when somebody says `always' I'll answer, `but not when the full moon
shines through the window and you're sitting with your back to the

It's probably silly.  I'm sorry.
This line is not blank.