Re: backspace/del/C-h confusion between emacs -nw & emacs X11

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: backspace/del/C-h confusion between emacs -nw & emacs X11
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 14:25:09 +0200

Balaji Venkataraman <bvenkata+nospam@sm.intel.com> writes:

> In short I want the <Backspace> and "C-h" to behave similarly whether I run
> "emacs -q" or "emacs -nw -q". I want the <Backspace> key to delete the
> previous char and "C-h" to give me the help menu - this is what happens when
> you run "emacs -q". But with "-nw", both those keys seem to be tied to the
> same thing. Changing one (with keyboard translate) changes the other.

>From a shell, invoke cat.  Then hit C-v <backspace> and then hit C-v
C-h.  I'm guessing that you will see that both print ^H on the
screen.  If this is indeed the case, then there is nothing Emacs can
do: when you hit <backspace> or when you hit C-h, the terminal sends
the same bytes to Emacs, so there is no way for Emacs to tell the
difference.

If the two print different things, please show us what they print.

If the two print the same thing, then you need to reprogram your
terminal to produce different things.  I suggest that you make
<backspace> produce ^? (that's ascii 127, also known as DEL).

--
This line is not blank.