Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: Re: unexpected behavior of the dotemacs
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 23:15:09 +0100

jean daniel browne wrote:
> I try to turn the background dark green ("DarkSlateGray"), everything
> works
> fine with NTemacs but either of the two following commands at the end
> of the .emacs fails to do what i want on the linux box:
> (set-background-color "DarkSlateGray")
> (set-face-background 'default "DarkSlateGray")
> I also tried to set it thru the "customize GUI".

this isn't a solution to your problem... but it may be an alternative:
have you used ColorTheme before?

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ColorTheme

i find it is definitely the best way to customise colours on emacs. just
place that lisp file in one of your paths (say ~/.elisp) and add these
lines to your ~/.emacs

  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp")
  (require 'color-theme)

and something like