Using tramp

From: Steven Scotten
Subject: Using tramp
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:53:15 -0700

I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin6.2), having been warned away from XEmacs on OS X, and I'm confused about why I'm not getting the opportunity to enter a password when attempting to access remote filesystems.

My tramp/nil buffer says:

xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com's password:
Process *tramp/nil xxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxx.com* killed

and my Messages buffer says this:

tramp: Opening connection for buysanfr@buysanfranciscotours.com using nil...
tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
tramp-action-password: Out of band method `nil' not applicable for remote shell asking for a password

...having not found anything helpful with Google, I thought I should ask here. It looks to me as though password authentication is no longer supported? I have to admit that my interpreting-emacs-messages-fu is quite limited.

So is there something I need to set up or configure before I can use Tramp? I'm stuck using icky *other* text editors until I can figure this one out.

Thanks,

Steve