Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
Date: 31 May 2003 19:39:45 +1000

 Irving> In <5lllwpq0jt.fsf@rum.cs.yale.edu> "Stefan Monnier"
 Irving> <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:
 >>> I find it infuriating that M-x shell does not give me a fully
 >>> functional bash (or rather, a fully functional terminal).  For

 >> M-x shell does not try to give you a fully functioning terminal.
 >> Try M-x term RET if you want a terminal.

 Irving> That almost worked!  But ls hangs (in fact brings all of
 Irving> Emacs to its knees) after printing the first line of files
 Irving> (in color, though!).  As I said, Emacs at this point falls
 Irving> into a deep coma; the only thing to do is to kill -9 the
 Irving> process.  What am I doing wrong?

 Irving> Thanks!

 Irving>        -Irv

Hi Irving,

I think you need to re-evaluate a bit how you do things. Everything
you need/want to do can be done very functionally from within emacs,
but you need to approach it in a different way. For example, instaed
of greping something and then passing ti to less, just use M-x
shell-command (bound to M-!). You will be prompted for the shell
command and the output from that command will be ut into an emacs
buffer which you can page through just like other emacs buffers.

Note that in fact, emacs has a built in grep, so you would probably
use that instead of the shell grep, but it suffices for an
example. Essentially, any shell command you execute with M-x
shell-command will write its ouput to a buffer where you can then
manipulate it as you want.

M-x shell gives you a very basic shell interface. Use ansi-color mode
to have it interpret ansi escape codes correctly. for a more
functional terminal, try out M-x term. For a very powerful shell
interface, try out M-x eshell - a shell written in emacs lisp which
will allow you to execute arbitrary emacs lisp functions as well as
provide basic shell interaction with the operating system.

For viewing man pages try either M-x man or M-x woman.

For viewing processes in a similar way to top, get hold of the
view-process mode.

Essentially, I find the best way for doing things when working with
emacs is to first check to see if emacs has the ability to get the
info or do what you want natively. If not, I then check to see if
there is an add on package which will do what I want and if that
fails, then I revert to using things like M-x shell, term, eshell. I
find 90% of the time, I can do everything from within emacs and rarely
need to resort to shell or term.

Tim

--
Tim Cross