Re: PCL-CVS, How To Merge?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: PCL-CVS, How To Merge?
Date: 19 Jun 2003 10:43:13 -0400

Galen> Point is on line saying need-merge.  What is the command to
Galen> make this happen?  Whenever I hit `d E' on either a marked or
Galen> unmarked line, I get the message:
Galen> `merge' is not applicable to any of the selected files.

In its constant efforts to keep things confusing, PCL-CVS uses
`merge' in two different ways:
- bring in pending changes from the repository.
- resolve conflicts.
`imerge' (bound to `d E') should really be called "resolve".

> You use "update", which is somewhat confusingly bound to "O". This

It's done this way to check whether people are attentive.  If after
seeing that the obvious `u' doesn't work they try `U', PCL-CVS
immediately punishes them for their lack of respect for the manual
(which badly needs improvement, of course).

> case you use `vc-resolve-conflicts' on the buffer, which gives you
> ediff, and lots of colours.

Note that `vc-resolve-conflicts' will only use the information that's
in the working file (i.e. using the conflict markers) which typically
lacks the ancestor info.  `d E' does a better job, but it does not always
work because CVS does not save the ancestor info anywhere.

        Stefan "PCL-CVS maintainer"