Re: awk-scripting

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: awk-scripting
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:40:57 +0000

Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote on
19 Jun 2003 15:05:28 -0400:
>> Is there anybody being able to tell me what I am doing wrong?

> Nothing, it's just not implemented in your version of Emacs.
> There is some indentation support but it's seriously broken (it think
> that awk is just like C, so it works a little better if you make
> your awk code look like C by placing semi-colons at end of commands).

> The Emacs-CVS code has improved support for awk-mode right now
> and the soon-to-be-merged CC-mode-5.30 will provide a complete
> rewrite of awk-mode with proper indentation support.

CC-Mode-5.30 was released this afternoon.  It does indeed contain proper
indentation support for AWK, but requires a reasonably recent Emacs,
either Emacs 20.1 (or later) [or XEmacs 21.4 (or later)].  Font locking
is implemented, and is switched on just like for any other mode.

CC-Mode-5.30 is available as a tarball from
<http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/release.php>.

And _PLEASE_ read the file README on how to get the new awk-mode properly
installed in place of the old.

[And just in case anybody's wondering, Dr. Jurzitza's post was genuine.
His timing was purely coincidental.  :-]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter