Re: invoke cper-mode instead of perl-mode

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: invoke cper-mode instead of perl-mode
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 08:40:40 -0700

robert.thorpe@antenova.com (Rob Thorpe) writes:

>> Still not getting abbrev-mode turned on when opening a perl script.
>> All other language modes seems to come up with abbrev-mode turned on.
>

> Ey, I haven't even got a variable called default-abbrev-mode, do you mean:
> (setq-default abbrev-mode t) ??

Ick, I posted again about this before I noticed you answer.

How strange... I've had this in emacs for ages:
(setq default-abbrev-mode t)
(read-abbrev-file)

It seems to work that way.  But when I tried replacing it with your
formulation, abbrevs are not turned on.

I thought that was what was turning on abbrevs in sh, c, perl etc.

> There again line 1146 of cperl-mode.el says:
> (abbrev-mode (if (cperl-val 'cperl-electric-keywords) 1 0))
>
> So cperl-mode resets it internally.  How irritating, this might be a bug.

Hmm, must have been some reason for it... But with that in there I
I guess the way is to set (setq cperl-electric-keywords t) then.

Maybe lots of people didn't like the electric features.  So turned off
by default. I remember seeing complaints about it.  I personally like
electic in cperl.

I found this in C-h m (in cperl mode):

[...]
CPerl mode provides expansion of the Perl control constructs:

   if, else, elsif, unless, while, until, continue, do,
   for, foreach, formy and foreachmy.

and POD directives (Disabled by default, see `cperl-electric-keywords'.)
[...]

So your answer got me straigntened out.... thanks.

I just tested with  (setq cperl-electric-keywords t)
in emacs, and sure enough, cperl-mode started with abbrevs turned on.

I see now that turning on perl-hairy also makes abbrev mode enabled
on open of perl file.