"Smart" quotes and dashes in PSGML

From: D. D. Brierton
Subject: "Smart" quotes and dashes in PSGML
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 17:31:24 +0100

I write (X)HTML documents in Emacs using PSGML mode. At the moment,
whenever I've finished a document I do various search-and-replaces to get
proper punctuation marks, such as replacing ' with ’, -- with
–, --- with —, and " with either “ or ”. I was
wondering whether anyone had written a function which would do that
automatically as I type, rather like lots of word processors do, but which
would not touch anything within a tag (such as the quote marks around
attribute values, or the comment markers)?

TIA, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren@dzr-web.com           www.dzr-web.com