Re: ispell/flyspell and german umlauts

From: Gernot Hassenpflug
Subject: Re: ispell/flyspell and german umlauts
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:46:58 +0900

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:
>
> You might like one of the German input methods -- e.g. german-prefix
> or german-postfix (select them with `C-x RET C-\').
>
> With the first method input is translated like:
>
>      "a -> ä, "o -> ö  etc.
>
> with the second like:
>
>      ae -> ä,  oe -> ö  etc.

Well that is very nice indeed. I often wonder how people do this with
with a non-German keyboard layout. I have been using the somewhat
clumsy but workable method using default bindings:

C-q M-D -> Ä
C-q M-d -> ä
C-q M-V -> Ö
C-q M-v -> ö
C-q M-\ -> Ü
C-q M-| -> ü
C-q M-_ -> ß

I suppose this is laughable, I will check out the methods you
suggest. The former reminds me of LaTeX, but the latter requires less
typing (no Shift key to get the "). I imagine the instructions for the
package also tell how to get the Ess-Zett sign.

Regards,
    Gernot
--
G Hassenpflug RASC, Kyoto University