Re: one key is beeping - don't know why...

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: one key is beeping - don't know why...
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 08:00:49 -0600

upro wrote:

> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>upro wrote:
>>
>>>Whenever I hit the AltGr key within emacs it beeps. AltGr does not
>>>beep in other programs, and it did not beep prior to upgrading to
>>>Slackware 9.0 (from 8.1). I have no clue what happened...
>>>
>>1. What does it do?  Try typing `C-h k AltGr' and note the message in
>>    the echo area (or the *Help* buffer, if the key is actually bound);
>
> THe key apparently is not nbound. The minibuffer says: <key-3> is
> undefined.
>
>>   then type `C-h l' and note the contents of the *Help* buffer.
>
> Lossage also says <key-3>. I had already tried that.

I think that indicates that your keyboard is sending keysym 3, which is
not being recognized by XKeysymToString (or your configuration did not
#define HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM); see modify_event_symbol() in src/keyboard.c.

>>2. What do you want it to do?
>
> I need t to type parentheses like []{}, or the tilde etc. (I have a
> German keyboard layout).
>
> The beeping bothers enourmously, since it implies an error. The
> character is actually produced, but it beeps...
>
> Do you have any idea how to stop that?

I don't know whether your keyboard is sending the correct keysym, or that
it needs to be configured differently.  If it is sending the correct keysym,
perhaps Emacs needs to be configured for its coding system.  You'll need someone
familiar with your platform and these issues to help you figure that out.

--
Kevin Rodgers