Way to screen out non-ASCII characters?

From: Edward Dodge
Subject: Way to screen out non-ASCII characters?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:14:22 -0500

Does anyone know if there is a mode or something that you can use in
EMACS to screen out everything that *isn't* ASCII text?  I am
currently trying to get some old documents converted to a plain-old
ASCII text file,  and I don't have access to the original program to
"save as text,"  nor do I want to write a script for this.

I would assume that because EMACS can distinguish between different
character-sets, maybe there is a way for EMACS to strain out the
other garbage for me.

--
Edward Dodge

/GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin5.5) of 2002-10-11 on G3/