NYC LOCAL: Sunday 17 August 2003 Three Jewels Free Software Workshop: Te

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Sunday 17 August 2003 Three Jewels Free Software Workshop: Tenth Birthday Observance for Debian and, by popular demand, Kenny Tilton's classic hands-on introduction to Common Lisp
Date: 16 Aug 2003 02:25:21 -0400

Sunday 17 August 2003 there will be a Free Software Workshop at

Three Jewels Refuge and Free Internet Cafe
211 East 5th Street
east of Third Avenue
Island of the Manahattoes

Subway: Eighth Street stop on the N, R, sometimes W, lines; Astor Place on
the 6 line; Third Avenue on the crosstown L line; Lower East Side-Second
Avenue-Houston Street on the F, V lines

Note that some of these lines may not be running right this weekend.

The Fest will start at 3:00 pm and run until 9:00 pm.

Between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm we will celebrate the Tenth Birthday of Debian.
All Debian users and developers are especially invited to join us and eat
glatt Debian foods!

For more about Debian:

http://www.debian.org
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/editorials/4959/1

At 7:00 pm Kenny Tilton will give the first part of a two part introduction
to Common Lisp.  This introduction is part of the New York City 2003 Lisp
Outreach.  Watch this space for announcements of Lisp events.

Below my signature, and below the blurb for Install Fests and Ian Murdock's
announcement of the Debian Project, please find Kenny's own detailed
description of his hands-on introduction to Common Lisp on Free *n*x.

This meeting is free and open to the public.

There are certain rules which will be strictly observed:

1. No meat eating inside the Refuge.

2. No personal abuse.

Every member of every free software org, tribe, drinking club, and family,
is invited, without prejudice, without fear, and without favor.

Newcomers are particularly invited.  Come down and join us, even if you are
just starting to learn about free software.

If you bring your computer and want help installing a free OS we will help.
Bring whatever CDs, DVDs, tapes, wax cylinders, quipus, memorable stanzas,
black cubes, etc. of your favorite operating systems and software.  See
below about management of stuff you bring with you.

Please read the appended standard blurb about Install Fests before you come
down, if you hope to get stuff installed.  Note that this Workshop does not
include a full Install Fest, but we will not refuse anyone who wants help
installing.

Jonas Arnaldo and Kevin Mark and Jay Sulzberger will be available to answer
any questions we may.  Kenny Tilton may or may not answer any question; G*
willing, he will show you Lisp.

In the next few weeks we will have these meetings:

1. Second part of Introduction to Common Lisp: Lisp and RoboCup,
http://www.lispnyc.org

2. Introduction to network security, special emphasis on time series
analysis and key management

3. How to buy parts and assemble a computer well suited to run a Free *n*x

We thank the Three Jewels, LXNY, and GNUbies for their generous help in
making this Fest possible, and we thank the Three Jewels for hosting this
Workshop, and Sunday Workshops to come, Sundays of Free Software in
New York City.

Jay Sulzberger <secretary@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

  what="standard Install Fest blurb">

Here is general information about Install Fests:

Hardware:  Bring the boxes on which you wish to run a Free OS.

Software:  Bring whatever distribution CDs, boot and rescue disks, boot
           managers, tiny distributions, manuals, and anything else you
           want.

Important: Everything done to/with any computer at any Install Fest,
           and in particular, at this Install Fest, is done at the
           specific request of the owner of the computer.  As with
           all human endeavor, there is some risk of catastrophe.
           Back up all your data, before coming to the Fest!  In addition,
           make a list of all hardware and media you bring to the Fest,
           and check that you have all your hardware and media when you
           leave the Fest.

Useful reading:
http://www.netcom.com/~casandra/mirror-of-luny-site/installfest/guidelines.html
http://linuxmafia.com/bale/linuxprep.html
http://www.luv.asn.au/if/preparation.php3

The LDP hardware HOW-TO:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/index.html

Linux pre-install checklist:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Pre-Installation-Checklist/index.html

Linux post-install mini-checklist:
http://algolog.tripod.com/postlnx.htm
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Post-Installation-Checklist/index.html

http://www.lxny.org
http://www.gnubies.org
http://www.nylug.org
http://www.sixgirls.org
http://www.fsf.org
http://www.debian.org
http://www.multicians.org
http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu
http://tinfoilhat.cultists.net
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux
http://www.linux.org
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd
http://www.squeak.org
http://www.freebsd.org
http://www.netbsd.org
http://www.openbsd.org
http://www2.ics.hawaii.edu/~esb/prof/proj/hello
http://www.daemonnews.org
http://slashdot.org
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems
http://www2.tunes.org/Review/OSes.html

  what="announcement of the Debian Project">