Re: elisp mouse programming problems

From: Johan Bockgård
Subject: Re: elisp mouse programming problems
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 04:37:57 +0200

"David Vanderschel" <DJV1@Austin.RR.com> writes:

> In one failure case, we are talking about C-down-mouse-1. So I have
> tried to experiment more with that. When I look in my new mode-map,
> I see the pair:
>
>      (C-down-mouse-1 . dv-test1)
>
> When I do C-h c for C-down-mouse-1, I still get:
>
>      C-down-mouse-1 at that spot runs the command msb
>
> My own major mode mode-map was definitely in effect (for other
> things I bound specially) in the buffer in which I tried that.

I think this is relevant, particularly the second paragraph:

(info "(elisp)Active Keymaps")

    All the active keymaps are used together to determine what command
    to execute when a key is entered. Emacs searches these maps one by
    one, in order of decreasing precedence, until it finds a binding
    in one of the maps. The procedure for searching a single keymap is
    called "key lookup"; see *Note Key Lookup::.

    Normally, Emacs first searches for the key in the minor mode maps,
    in the order specified by `minor-mode-map-alist'; if they do not
    supply a binding for the key, Emacs searches the local map; if
    that too has no binding, Emacs then searches the global map.
    However, if `overriding-local-map' is non-`nil', Emacs searches
    that map first, before the global map.

--
Johan Bockgård