Re: Undoc accented characters

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Undoc accented characters
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:22:38 +0200

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Paul Kinnucan <paulk@mathworks.com> writes:
>
>> Occasionally, I accidentally enter some combination of keystrokes (I
>> think with my left hand) that causes Emacs to change the meaning of
>> the keys on my keyboard such that typing a key produces a nonstandard
>> result, for example, an a with an accent aigu or grave or an o with an
>> umlaut. What keystrokes trigger this behavior and how can I reenable
>> the normal behavior?
>
> What OS?
>
> Hm.  C-x 8 allows you to enter ' a to get á and so on.
[...]

I suspect that the OP's OS is MS Windows XP. There is a facility to
change the keymap. The OS provides a shortcut for this which uses
some key-combination that is also used by Emacs. But I forgot which
one. I solved this by disabling this keymap facility.

    Oliver
--
5 Fructidor an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!