what is the point of point-min?

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: what is the point of point-min?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:40:30 -0500

Here is a handy rebinding of <delete> that I found on the web.

(global-set-key [delete]
         (lambda () (interactive)
                   (if mark-active
                             (kill-region (point) (mark))
                     (delete-char 1))))

and here is an alternative suggestion with one small change that I do
not fully understand.  Why would this be better?

(global-set-key [delete]
         (lambda () (interactive)
                   (if mark-active
                             (kill-region (point) (mark))