Re: What's the newest version of emacs, and where is it?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: What's the newest version of emacs, and where is it?
Date: 28 Aug 2003 16:37:53 +0100

  David> In article
  David> <mailman.330.1060668318.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
  David> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote:
  >>> From: dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
  >>> Date: 11 Aug 2003 21:25:48 -0400
  >>>
  >>> Like, anything newer than 21.3.1?
  >>>
  >>> And if so, where would one find it?
  >>
  >> Here:
  >>
  >> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs
  >>
  >> (follow the link to "CVS").

  David> Thanks!

  David> Now to find out *how* to grab something via cvs (which I
  David> definitely *dread* having to learn -- I've tried the CVS book
  David> (O'Reilly), and no nice simple examples, apparently.  Gotta
  David> read the whole thing, *hundreds* of pages, it seems.  And
  David> just to download ONE file -- UGH!)

If you are not happy using CVS, then you probably do not want the
bleeding edge emacs that you are going to get from it.

The website tells you an easy way to use CVS

cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs login

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co <modulename>

like so.

You will not get one file, but rather all the source for emacs.

Phil