Re: tramp: Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: tramp: Maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: 29 Aug 2003 10:19:00 +0100

  Kin> Hi,

  Kin> tramp (2.0.35) seems to have trouble with large file size.

  Kin> I was trying to copy /large-file (210 Meg) from foobar to a
  Kin> local directory.

  Kin> Perhaps there is another tramp method which doesn't require
  Kin> first fetching a remote file to a local temp file?

  Kin> Thanks.

  Kin> -kin

  Kin> tramp: Fetching /scp:root@foobar:/large-file to tmp file
  Kin> /tmp/tramp.61036yh...done tramp: Inserting local temp file
  Kin> `/tmp/tramp.61036yh'...  setq: Maximum buffer size exceeded

This is not a problem with tramp per se, but with emacs. It has a
maximum buffer size (which is I think something like 2^26
characters). Your 210 meg file is too large for it.

Try it locally. You would still have the same problem.

There is essentially no way around this, other than bad hacks, like
splitting the file up into two.

Phil