Re: regexp and strings you don't want

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: regexp and strings you don't want
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:38:48 +0200

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Oliver Scholz <alkibiades@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> I've played a bit with this (patch below). But I thing I am a bit
>> puzzled. With my patch, `(rx (not top))' translates to:
>>
>> "\\(?:[^t]*\\|t[^o]*\\|to[^p]*\\)"
>>
>> Is this actually correct?
>
> Well, err, it depends.
>
> I guess one meaningful meaning of the hypothetical x\\(!:top\\)y would
> be to look whether the characters following x are t-o-p.  If so, then
> fail.  If not, then do like xy would have done.
[...]

Hmpf. I don't see a way to compile this to an ordinary Emacs regexp
programatically. Is it actually possible, even with you trick? But
maybe I am just a little bit slow this evening. Any thoughts?

    Oliver (time to go to bed now)
--
12 Fructidor an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!