Re: Emacs 21 and M-x term

From: Mark Plaksin
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 and M-x term
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:39:21 -0400

Lute Kamstra <Lute.Kamstra@cwi.nl> writes:

> I cannot reproduce your problem.

I can't reliably reproduce the problem either but it happens most of the
time.  When I can reproduce it I'll send details.

> I tried both fonts.  Both work well in combination with term.  Maybe I
> don't quite understand the problem you are experiencing.  What exactly
> do you mean with "columns don't line up correctly"?

Here's an example.  When it works it looks like this:
~/emacs/cvs:water$ ls c*
config.bat     config.log      config.sub*  configure.in
config.guess*  config.status*  configure*

When it doesn't work it looks something like this:
~/emacs/cvs:water$ ls c*
config.bat     config.log  config.sub*  configure.in
config.guess*  config.status*  configure*

In the second example config.sub doesn't start in the right column.

> It sounds as if you use a variable width font, but both fonts you
> mention are fixed width.  Could you elaborate?

I thought (and think) they are fixed width too so I don't understand
why the fonts matter.  I don't know much about fonts.

>> Now that I can use CVS Emacs for everyday work, I will compile a list
>> of the remaining problems and do what I can to help with debugging.
>
> Great.

I won't get the list compiled until next week but it will come.

>> One problem so far: ssh to an HP-UX 11.00 system, set TERM to eterm,
>> and run vi.
>
> So you run vi from within Emacs.  Interesting.  ;-)

Ha!  My main use for term is to connect to remote machines and do system
administration.  Maybe gnuserv or TRAMP could be used to edit files as
root on remote machines but I haven't tried it.  I also haven't thought
through whether it's a good idea or not.  Even if I had it all set up,
there would always be new machines on which it was not yet set up :)
Sysadmins *must* know some vi anyhow.  Don't get me wrong though I'd
love to be doing *everything* in Emacs!

>> C-d does *almost* what you'd expect but the bottom half of the
>> screen is off by one line.  When I hit C-l the bottom half of the
>> lines move up one line.
>
> Are you talking about C-d sent to Emacs or sent to vi?  (I know 0.0
> about vi.)

C-d is like C-v in Emacs except it only moves down half a page.  I'm
typing C-d inside an Emacs term and it's getting sent to the vi process
on the remote host.  C-l in vi redraws the screen.