X-Windows cut&paste problems (Japanese characters)

From: Janusz S. Bień
Subject: X-Windows cut&paste problems (Japanese characters)
Date: 25 Sep 2003 18:00:10 +0200

I have recently observed several problems concerning cut&paste between
Emacs and some applications (Debian unstable, IceWM and GNOME).

The most obvious one is that when I paste from some applications
(e.g. Mozilla) some Japanese characters, I get something like this:

        \x{65E5}\x{672C}

My semi-random experiments included setting
`x-select-enable-clipboard' and using `compound-text-with-extensions',
but the problem was unaffected.

In another application the paste worked correctly, in another one the
effect was the same as in Emacs.

I browsed the list archive but it seems that nobody reported an
identical problem.

I am looking forward to your advice.

Best regards

Janusz