Re: chinese encoded in UTF-8 and XML

From: James H . Cloos Jr .
Subject: Re: chinese encoded in UTF-8 and XML
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:12:25 -0400

>>>>> "Miles" == Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:

Miles> CVS emacs supports unicode japanese fine if you do `M-x
Miles> utf-translate-cjk-mode'; not sure about chinese.

I just tested it and it worked flawlessly.

It *might* be better, though, for utf-translate-cjk-mode to add lang
tags so that it can be reversed; right now when the files are read
back in they default to japanese text (at least with the mostly
default options I currently have).  If the runs of at least cjk text
were encased on lang tags then a save/kill-buffer/open sequence could
end up with the same glyphs as the input method generated.

The use of plane14 tags should be transparent to anything that
doesn't know them....

-JimC