emacs colors on Sun Workstation

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: emacs colors on Sun Workstation
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:41:01 +0200

>>>>> "lg" == lorenzo guerrieri <guerrieri.lorenzo@unimore.it> writes:

lg> Hallo !
lg> Here's my problem:
lg> I downloaded and installed Emacs version 21.2 on my Sun Workstation,
lg> Operating System SunOS Release 5.8
lg> When I open Emacs window there are no colors ! The background is grey
lg> and all the characters are black.

Hmmm...  Usually the plain  (no customization) True One Editor (Emacs)
has a  white background if I'm not  wrong.  I know that  in some Linux
distributions it's set to a dark green background with wheat text, but
gray background  with black text looks  like XEmacs (aka  the True Two
Editor :) ).

Anyway, you can put these in your .emacs:

(setq default-frame-alist '((cursor-color . "gold")
                            (foreground-color . "black")
                            (background-color . "#feffD9")
                            (height . 30)
                            (width . 80)
                            ))
(set-background-color "#feffD9")
(set-foreground-color "black")

The  first statement  defines the  standard appearance  of  new frames
(80x30, black text on a pale yellow shade and a gold cursor)

The  second sets the  background color  of the  current frame  and the
third the text color of the same frame.

You can set  even mouse pointer, modeline and  scrollbar color and get
your own simple'n'elegant (or angry fruit salad) color scheme.

lg> I am interested in particular of the
lg> possibilities to have different colors for Fortran files (fortran
lg> commands, comment lines, strings,ecc ...).

That's quite easy. These lines in your .emacs

(global-font-lock-mode t)
(setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)

tell Emacs  to start font-lock  whenever the current mode  supports it
and to use the most colorful decoration.

FORTRAN  should be  automatically recognized  by Emacs  when  the file
extension is .f .

If this "electric"  behaviour is not set you can add  to your .emacs a
statement like this:

(setq auto-mode-alist
       (cons '("\\.f$" . fortran-mode) auto-mode-alist))

Feel free to contact me directly if you need some more advice.

  //--\ | | \|  |   Integralista GNUslamico e fancazzista
\/