Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 09:07:36 -0600

Barman Brakjoller wrote:

From the Emacs tutorial (C-h t):

 "You can also move the cursor with the arrow keys, if your terminal
has
 arrow keys.  We recommend learning C-b, C-f, C-n and C-p for three
 reasons.  First, they work on all kinds of terminals.  Second, once
 you gain practice at using Emacs, you will find that typing these
Control
 characters is faster than typing the arrow keys (because you do not
 have to move your hands away from touch-typing position).  Third,
once
 you form the habit of using these Control character commands, you can
 easily learn to use other advanced cursor motion commands as well."

Is it worth it? I'm using Emacs on w32 and Linux and are quite happy
with my arrow keys, but the argument above about not having to move
away from the main part of the keyboard sounds logical.

I would like to know about you other guys and gals experiences.

For me the third point is the most important: the consistency between
the Control-modified, Meta-modified, and Control-Meta-modified keys
makes it easy to learn the advanced commands and avoid repetitive C-key
commands when 1 M-key or C-M-key will do.  And this applies to
deletion/killing commands as well as motion commands.

--
Kevin Rodgers