Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?

From: Daniel B.
Subject: Re: C-f, C-b, C-n and C-p or right, left, down, up?
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:08:55 -0400

Sven Utcke wrote:

> "Daniel B." <dsb@smart.net> writes:

> > Yes, but reconfigure your keyboard so that the Caps Lock key functions
> > as the control key.  (I'm assuming you're using a PC-style keyboard.)
> >
> > Emacs control-character sequences were designed when the standard place
> > for the control key was just to the left of where the A key is (in the
> > US layout).
>
> Well, considering where C-y is on an american keyboard (it's fine on a
> German one, incidentially), makes one wonder if Emacs control
> sequences where ever designed for anything but mnemonic value --- Most
> of them certainly are in strange places.

I didn't say they were designed based on the location of the shifted
character's key.

I just said that were designed when all Control keys where in the
easy-to-reach left-of-A location (and that anyone using the regular
Control keys on a PC-style keyboard would think they're harder to
reach than they actual are with the control key in the right location).

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay
dsb@smart.net