Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs

From: Hugh Wolf
Subject: Re: C-x C-w on mac (carbon) emacs
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:09:37 GMT

On 2003-10-16, Barry Margolin <barry.margolin@level3.com> wrote:
> It sounds to me like he has C-w mapped to do the same thing as Cmd-w, which
> conventionally closes the current window.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'mapped' -- mapped by what?  OSX lets
you select keyboard layouts but it doesn't let you remap individual
key sequences.

As far as emacs is concerned Cmd is either Alt or Meta, depending on
the user's preferences.  Of course a-w and m-w could be bound to some
elisp function that has arbitrarily weird side-effects.  But the OP
would have had to have done that himself.

As for Cmd-w, you're right that this conventionally closes the
currently selected window.  But not in emacs, which by definition is
the selected window at the time.  Cmd-w will never be grabbed by any
other applications, again unless some non-standard third-party tool is
installed -- in which case it's just as likely that he has it
configured to grab Ctrl-w.

All in all, this theory doesn't seem to provide any explanations.

The single most likely reason the OP is having trouble is that he's
running a year-old build of a cvs snapshot, built by someone other
than him with unknown configuration options in an unknown environment.
Probably this will all go away if he rebuilds it himself from the
current sources.