Re: edebug question - context of calling function

From: jan
Subject: Re: edebug question - context of calling function
Date: 17 Oct 2003 11:35:57 -0700

"David Vanderschel" <DJV1@Austin.RR.com> writes:

> I sometimes put a source breakpoint in my code to catch a particular
> error condition.  When such a conditional breakpoint fires, the
> actual problem, though recognized in the called function, is often
> attributable to the calling function.  What I want to do then is to
> look around at the state of the calling function at the time it
> called the function which invoked edebug.  I can instrument the
> calling function; but, when in the debugger, I cannot see how to pop
> the context stack so that I can look around at the variables in the
> calling program.  What am I missing?

If I understand you correctly, you want to walk up the stack and look
at the local variable in the functions along the way. I had a quick
look and both edebug and the standard emacs debugger seem to be
missing this feature. However, it may not be necessary because elisp
is a dynamically scoped language, for example:

(defun function1 ()
  (let ((a 1)
        (b 2))
    (list a b (function2) a b)))

(defun function2 ()
  (let ((b 3)
        (c 4))
    (edebug)
    (setq a 5
          b 6)
    (+ b c)))

(function1)

when you hit the (edebug) breakpoint in function2 you can just eval
`a' because it is still in scope. You probably already knew this and
want to inspect variables like `b' which have been shadowed by the let
in function2. In this case, I would just move the breakpoint up to the
calling function and make the condition on it more clever so it only
fires under the circumstances you want.

--
jan