Re: Loops and scripting in eshell

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Loops and scripting in eshell
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:15:18 +0200

Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
>> Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Loops are the one feature that I am missing in eshell.
>> for f in a b { echo $f; }               # invokes shell command echo
>> for f in a b ( find-file f )            # invokes Lisp command

> Thank you very much. What a relief!

I am not quite there yet. I'd sometimes need something like:

for f in `ls` { echo $f }

So what would be the equivalent to bash:

for f in `ls`; do echo $f; done

for f in $(ls); do echo $f; done

Or is this one of the things eshell can't do? I sometimes use
something like this to rename all files in a directory or all files
with a specific extension or things like that. How would I do this in
eshell from the command line?

28 Vendémiaire an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!