Re: does emacs wrap lines that are exactly 80 characters long??

From: Arthur Davis
Subject: Re: does emacs wrap lines that are exactly 80 characters long??
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:33:51 -0500

Even though the extra column exists to give the long line wrap
indication (which is an improvement, I agree), emacs still displays an
additional, blank line below the 80 char line.  This has always been
an irritation to me that I have just learned to ignore.  However, is
there something that I can set to cause emacs to not display a new
line until it actually contains characters from a line wrap?  Showing
the cursor on the first column of the new line is fine, but if I
pressed return at the end of an 80 character line, I would want the
cursor to stay put.

But regarding the quote from the original post referring to long lines
in program code, I couldn't agree more.  It makes code *very*
unreadable when lines wrap 4 and 5 (or more) times in the window.  A
few characters wrapped to the next line are occasionally tolerable,
but I still feel that there is rarely a time when you are unable to
keep lines within the 80 character limit, assuming you don't use
8-character tab widths.

Arthur