Re: cut, copy, & paste with scroll mouse

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: cut, copy, & paste with scroll mouse
Date: 30 Oct 2003 16:13:09 -0800

Kevin> I have (global-unset-key [mouse-2]) in my .emacs so that wheel
Kevin> does only scrolling and nothing else. (Otherwise it would paste
Kevin> when clicked)

Micah> Personally, I leave it set and just scroll the weel if I want to
Micah> scroll, and click it if I want to paste.

Kevin> I am not familiar with X windows methods and operations. So, how
Kevin> do I cut, copy, and paste using the mouse?  Do I have to
Kevin> configure scroll mouse in a certain way?  Does it matter that I
Kevin> have pc-selection-mode turned on?

man xmodmap(1) for how you can change the meaning of the mouse buttons
from the shell.  Then bind a short script doing that to a key in your
window manager configuration, and another one to change the mapping
back.  Then you'll be able to paste with the right button (for example)
as long as you're in that mode.

This is what I do on my laptop with only 2 buttons.

--
"Rap music is our punishment for neglecting music education."
An anonymous teacher