Re: line length control setting

From: Adam Hardy
Subject: Re: line length control setting
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:10:48 +0100

On 11/10/2003 07:39 PM Gareth Rees wrote:
Adam Hardy wrote:
From what I can tell, it looks like it only alerts me to the over-long
lines when I try to save - which would be too late for the way I work
- or have I misunderstood it?

No, you're quite right.  But if you set your frame width appropriately,
then you can spot over-long lines immediately because they overflow the
right margin.  Line Limit mode then spots the lines you missed.  If it
isn't convenient to have the frame width similar to 'fill-column', then
you could try highlighting long lines, as described in
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=vafr9cfozow.fsf%40lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de

OK but it's a completely different paradigm. I have emacs maximized all the time but I could open it with a width of fill-column. I don't use the space on the right after the fill-column, but then I probably wouldn't know what to do with it :)

maybe it would be just as good to have a column display in the status bar just above the mini-buffer. How could I do that?

Or even better I remember when I used to use superedit or something similar, it drew a faint right margin on the page.

Adam
--
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 on Linux 2.4.20 RH9