Re: A couple of lisp questions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A couple of lisp questions
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:11:38 GMT

> First, I want to call a function everytime a new word has been typed
> into a buffer. The only way that I can think of doing this at the

As you can imagine there's no perfect answer here, since words can be typed
piecemeal, or backwards, or split into two, or joined, or modified in some
other way.  So it's not even clear what you mean by "everytime a new word
has been typed".

> This does not work in all cases, so better ideas would be welcome.

Take a look at how flyspell does it.  Or maybe auto-fill.

> Second, my data structures are current using a hashtable, and a set of
> lists. The hashtable has a nice feature which is key/value weakness. I
> would really like to use this feature, but over an ordered list
> structure rather than a hash. As far as I can tell the only way I can
> use a weak reference is through the hashtable. There are no other weak
> data structures?

> Third, is there a good way of serializing hashtables, so that I can
> load them again next time from a file? To get my system to work I need
> multiple hashtables sharing the same objects not just objects with the
> same values, so its fairly complicated.

As you probably know, the answer to both is "no can do".
But if you provide more info about what you're trying to do (rather than
how you're trying to do it), maybe there's a good answer that does not
involve the usual "patches welcome".

        Stefan