Re: Emacs from CVS question

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Emacs from CVS question
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:03:46 -0600

Hugh Wolf <hwolf@deutsches.lieder.de> writes:

> On 2003-11-29, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:
>
>> 4.  The Xaw3d toolbars are missing from my build of 21.3, but are
>> present in the 21.2 build from fink.  My impression was that this
>> should have been included in the build automagically, but wasn't.
>
> If you look at the fink .info file for whatever 21.2 build you're
> running can see what options were used to build it.  Look at the
> value of ConfigureParameters.

Thanks!  As I'm still learning, this stuff is almost over my head.

> NB: it's NOT a good idea to build software outside of fink that has
> dependencies on fink-provided packages like xaw3d (not impossible
> but not a good idea).  If you want to install xaw3d via fink, then
> you should build your emacs 21.3 with fink.  Or, if you really think
> it's a good idea to install into /usr/local (I don't), handle all
> the non-standard dependencies that way as well, including xaw3d.
> Don't mix them.

Not mixing fink-built and non-fink-built dependencies makes sense.
Thus far 21.3 doesn't seem to be available via fink (and in any event
the Carbon build would not be available via fink, hence doing that
myself).

What's the issue with installing into /usr/local?

>> 5.  The Option key works as META in Carbon but not in X11 (I think
>> that may be a problem with XDarwin or OroborOSX, since the Option
>> key works as META in Terminal).
>
> I haven't used XDarwin.app in a long time now, but this sounds like
> an .Xmodmap thing.  With X11.app my ~/.Xmodmap looks like this:

Huh.  I don't have an ~/.Xmodmap file...

>> 6.  The Carbon build is HUGE- 95 MB!  Can this be slimmed down?
>
> Mine is 15.6MB for emacs itself -- less than half the size of the
> X11 build (36.7MB).  Where are you seeing 95MB?

Get Info on Emacs.app = 96.6 MB.  (BTW the INSTALL file that came with
the Emacs sources indicated the total build to be 77 MB, presumably
for a standard installation on Unix).

Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs = 9.2 MB
/usr/local/bin/emacs = 9.6 MB

Most of the size seems to be at:

Emacs.app/Contents/Resources = 86.8 MB
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp = 55.5 MB
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/leim = 13.8 MB
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info = 10.4 MB
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc = 6.8 MB

To make the package self contained, I copied the lisp, site-lisp and
info files into Emacs.app as per Andrew Choi's Web site instructions.

I tried "gzip *.el" in Emacs.app/.../lisp to save space, but then
Emacs Carbon wouldn't launch- I found out that there are several
important .el files that don't have byte-compiled equivalents!  Live
and learn the hard way...  ;-)

Oddly enough, neither the Carbon version nor the X11 version I
compiled can find the info files, which are at the place that "make
install" put them (/usr/local/info for the X11 build; I also copied
them to Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/info for the Carbon build).

Thanks!