Re: emacs suspension

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: emacs suspension
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 03:12:23 GMT

> I am using emacs-21.2 in vip mode.  I have a large file that I am working
> with (450Kbytes) and it occasionally suspends when I go into insert mode or
> if I do a line copy/paste.  The suspension can last around 30 minutes.

Take a look at emacs/etc/DEBUG where you'll see how to run Emacs under
a debugger and interrupt it every once in a while to see what it's doing
doing this time.

> I changed my buffer size to:

> (setq font-lock-maximum-size 524288)

That does not change the buffer size.  What gave you the impression that
your problem is related to font-lock?  Does the problem disappear if
font-lock is turned off?

> and it still locks up.  Has anybody had this problem???

It could simply be hitting a bad regexp that has an exponential behavior.
Setting debug-on-quit to t and hitting C-g during the hang might help
figure out what's going on.

        Stefan