Re: How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?

From: Harald Maier
Subject: Re: How do I get latest CVS and compile Emacs?
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:09:12 +0100

Martin Stone Davis <m0davis@pacbell.net> writes:

> I would like to get the latest CVS of emacs and compile it for Windows
> XP. I read http://savannah.gnu.org/statement.html, but I don't know
> what I'm supposed to do.
>
> My (lack of) experience: I am an almost-total newbie to CVS.  I have
> some experience using Eclipse to access and compile a CVS Java
> project.  I have emacs 21.3.1 loaded and I also have MS Visual Studio
> 6.0 (not loaded).

You need a cvs client program. I am using the cvs program from the
cygwin.com port but I think you should also be able with the eclipse
program. Important is the CVSROOT and that you are using the SSH. In
the following command the CVSROOT is

  anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs

,----
| $ export CVS_RSH=ssh
| $ cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@cvs.gnu.org:/cvs-latest/emacs co emacs
`----

The problem with cvs-latest is that the two file 'emacs/src/regex.h'
and 'emacs/src/regex.c' are missing. You can check out theese files
from the cvs-2003-09-16 cvs tree or you can do first a checkout of
cvs-2003-09-16 and afterwards cvs-latest. This should work, but I have
not tried it.

As a second step you should look into the file emacs/nt/INSTALL. This
file describes the following steps:

,----
| $ cd emacs/nt
| $ ./configure.bat --with-mscv
| $ nmake bootstrap
`----

I am not sure which CL version you are using. If you are using MSVC
7.0 (CL 13) then you should edit the file nmake.defs in emacs/nt and
remove the occurences of '-debugtype:both'.

Harald