Re: Editing a file as root

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Editing a file as root
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 07:40:51 -0500 (EST)

Did you try logging into the server as root from the command line...
i.e., without using tramp?

At 11:47 (UTC+0100) on Mon, 15 Dec 2003 Sébastien Kirche said:

= On my system (Mac OSX 10.2.8), emacs fails or freezes after entering the
= superuser password.
= "top" shows that no cpu is used by emacs, and i can get the control back
= with C-g
=
= Here is the messages left by tramp :
=
= tramp: Opening connection for `<root>' using `su'...
= tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
= tramp: Waiting 60s for prompt from remote shell
= tramp: Sending password
= Password:
= Password:.
= Password:..
= Password:...
= Password:....
= Password:.....
= Password:......
= Password:.......
= tramp-process-actions: Login failed
=
= I remember recent considerations about a bad behavior of emacs on osx
= and communication with sub-processes. But i wasn't able to find them again.
= Maybe it is relative to my problem ?
=
= Sébastien Kirche
= Help-gnu-emacs mailing list