Re: emacs, umlauts, x-windows text mark and paste

From: Sergei Pokrovsky
Subject: Re: emacs, umlauts, x-windows text mark and paste
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:57:17 +0600

>>>>> "josh" == erasurehead  <erasurehead@goatrance.net> writes:

  josh> Hello Harald and Sergei,
  josh> thanks for your replies.

  josh> I've tried setting LC_ALL to german, C, de_DE, de_DE@euro, and
  josh> en_US.UTF-8 and then starting emacs.

And what about the other application (your browser)?  I guess, it is
important that both of them are set consistently, so that the
clipboard treatment is one same on both sides.

  josh> I can tell this makes a difference because the symbol in the
  josh> lower lefthand corner of emacs which indicates the default
  josh> encoding changes appropriately (e.g. -1 for de_DE (->
  josh> iso-8859-1), and -u for en_US.UTF-8) However pasting in the
  josh> german text still makes garbage.

  josh> Also, i tried running C-x RET f
  josh> (set-buffer-file-coding-system) on the garbarged buffer and
  josh> tried many different encodings (which one should I choose?),
  josh> but it never changes the text in the buffer *one whit*!

The buffer uses the internal Emacs encoding, and the
file-coding-system should matter only when you save or "find" (= open)
the file.

  josh> I would expect it to junk the entire screen if I pick
  josh> chinese-big5-unix, but it doesn't seem to care, the buffer
  josh> still looks the same. I had already tried this many times

[...]

--
Sergei