Re: Alt + Shift combinations not working in the linux console

From: joao
Subject: Re: Alt + Shift combinations not working in the linux console
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 23:32:01 +0100

Greg Fenton wrote:
> When you say "linux console", what are you refering too?  Is this a
> console running under X or is this one of the virtual console terminals
> (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F1) ?

Yes, sorry, I meant the virtual console terminals. X is not running.

I configured a login type "text", not "graphical", when I installed my
RH9, so when I first login I'm in one of these virtual consoles,
before eventually calling "startx" ; that's where I would like to use
emacs, to hack on DirectFB for example.

So the problem has been narrowed down to a difference between this
virtual console and an xterm : typing Alt + "<" yields ESC < in both
cases, but typing Alt + Shift + ">" yields ESC > inside the xterm, but
nothing at all (not a single character) in the virtual console.

So emacs works fine in the xterm but becomes unusable in the console.

Any idea where I can fix this ?

Thanks,
Joao

--