Single space movement for key press in editor

From: Jane and Carl Trachte
Subject: Single space movement for key press in editor
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:05:16 -0700

Hello.

I've been happily using EMACS for about 8 months now, mostly as a code editor for C, LISP, and SQL.  It's worked great on Windows and Linux, so much so that I'm hooked.  Recently I loaded Mandrake 9.2 Linux on my Linux partition, replacing Red Hat 8 (the computer is an HP Pavillion, Pentium 4 processor).  The EMACS installation that came with Mandrake has keys that only work once when you hold them down (if I type in C-n, holding both keys down, the cursor stops and waits for me to press C-n again to move down another line).  Is this something that can be controlled by setting a variable in the .Emacs file or is it a quirk of the OS?  Thanks in advance for helping out a newb.

CBT