Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting intera

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: How remove/change appearance of "M-x" prompt when inputting interactive command/function?
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 13:48:14 -0600

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim McNamara wrote:
>
>> gebser@speakeasy.net writes:
>
>>> You can set this in your ~/.Xdefaults file.  The X manpage will
>>> give details.
>>>
>> This won't affect the OS X/Aqua version of Emacs, as Aqua does not
>> read any of the X11 config files.
>
> 1. Can't you force the OS X/Aqua X11 server to load its resource
> database with this command: xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xdefaults

Ah, if only.  The Aqua interface is not at all related to X11; this is
the layer in which Carbon and Cocoa applications run.  Andrew Chois
has a set of patches available in CVS Emacs that allow it to be
compiled for the Aqua or X11 environments (adding the flags
"--with-carbon --without-x" or "--with-x --without-carbon" to the
./configure command).

In OS X, the X11 system runs as a separate layer, by default in
rootless mode.  One can of course run the window management system of
your choice.  X11 is launched most easily with an application called
"X11.app" but there are other choices (XDarwin and OroborOSX, for
example).

> 2. Emacs explicitly loads that file itself; see x_load_resources ->
> get_user_db/get_environ_db in src/xrdb.c, which is called from
> x_term_init in src/xterm.c.

Whoo, that's beyond my skills to understand.