How can I customize this repetive edit?

From: exits funnel
Subject: How can I customize this repetive edit?
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:36:23 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I have a text file which contains a coupld of hundred
lines which look like this:

>foo   EAL_FOO

I need them to look like this:

>  EAL_FOO="foo";

Note that '>' is not part of the line but included to
denote the beginning of the line (ie, the foo in the
first example is flush with the beginning of the line
while line in the second example starts with two
spaces.  Also note the EAL_ is fixed but foo can take
any value though the case of foo and FOO respectively
will always adhere to the pattern in the example.

I really don't want to make all these changes by hand.
 I'm pretty new to EMACS but it seems this should be
doable (everything else is :) ).  If anyone could
point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate
it.

-exits