Re: What is the _essential_ difference between lazy-lock and jit-lock?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What is the _essential_ difference between lazy-lock and jit-lock?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:42:53 +0200

> From: Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:36:15 +0000
>
> > There's nothing to debug: it's normal, well-understood behavior.
> > Better yet: it's done on purpose.
>
> Surely not - Emacs _HUNG_ with stealth fontification, accepting no keypresses
> (apart from a double C-g), and remained in this state overnight (> 8
> hours).

I think these problems were solved in the meantime (IIRC, they were
due to bad interaction between JIT lock and font-lock definitions for
some modes).  Please try again and see if you still have such
problems.

> Tuning jit-lock is very difficult.  Using customize, even after finding
> the Jit Lock customize group (difficult in itself), there is a
> bewildering collection of options to set.  (I mean here bewildering to
> _me_, and I think I have a better grasp of font lock than typical Emacs
> users.)  It would seem that a detailed understanding of how jit-lock
> works is a prerequisite for setting these options intelligently.  This is
> surely not a good thing.
>
> Perhaps what is wanted is a command like `(font-lock-tune-font-lock
> 'low-powered-workstation)' by which users could select from amongst
> several pre-defined tunings, somewhat analogous to CC Mode's
> `c-set-style'.

I have a better idea of a user interface:

        (font-lock-tune-font-lock 'my-specific-preferences)
or
        (font-lock-tune-font-lock 'my-favorite-computer)

Seriously, though: that's the first time I hear an Emacs veteran
complain about too many customization options.  Surely, you should
know that they all exist for a good purpose.  Perhaps you want to say
that their documentation needs some work--that is something I could
understand.