server-start preempted by other emacs window

From: John Russell
Subject: server-start preempted by other emacs window
Date: 28 Jan 2004 11:34:59 -0500

Is there a way to have emacs check to see if another server process
is running before it runs server-start?

My issue is that if I have one emacs window open (my IDE) and then
open another one for gnus, the last one opened always destroys any
server process in existence.  So all emacsclient calls go to the gnus
window, and when that window gets closed, there is no longer any
server running at all.

I was hoping for a boolean function call or something, but apropos
wasn't helpful.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

John