Re: Unable to Build Emacs in latest 10.3 "powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0"

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Unable to Build Emacs in latest 10.3 "powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0"
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 23:46:38 -0600

Dane Fundan <malakye3d@yahoo.com> writes:

> first, i updated my G5 running 10.3 to the lastest and greatest via
> software update.  secondly, i updated dev tools with most recent
> patch.  i then downloaded the lastest stable (i think) version of
> emacs - version 21.3 (filename emacs-21.3.gar.tz), from savahanna's
> i unpacked it into the hardrive and then ran configure. it threw
> this error message: "checking host system
> type... powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0 configure: error: Emacs hasn't
> been ported to `powerpc-apple-darwin7.2.0' systems.

> Any suggestions? I need to get this built and running as soon as I
> can :)

OK-

It will build under 10.3.2 with XCode 1.1- I've done it.

1.  Did you get it from CVS?  You need the CVS version because that's
    the one with the patches needed to compile on OS X.

http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs/

2. Do you want to compile it run under Aqua or under X11?  There's a
   special set of flags for ./configure to make this choice.

3.  If you want it to run under Aqua, there are several prebuilt
    binaries to choose from- from plain vanilla Emacs to "enhanced"
    Emacs with AucTeX and such.

Start out with Andrew Choi's Web site:

http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/

and read his instruction on how to get and compile Emacs for OS X at:

http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/stories/obtaining-and-building.html

Note that there are changes:  you do not have to get Texinfo first
as that's already installed in 10.3.2; the specific CVS command
is (or at least was):

  cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emac

but ISTR that it changed; however, the CVS Web site gives the same
command arguments.  The whole sequence looks like:

  cd ..
  export CVS_RSH="ssh"
  cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs@savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

  cd emacs
  ./configure --with-carbon --without-x
  make bootstrap
  sudo make install

Note that " ./configure --with-x --without-carbon" will build Emacs
for X11 instead of building a Carbon version for Aqua.  That is
launched from within an xterm with the command "emacs"; you have to
have launched X11.app first.

Hope this helps!