Re: Emacs as a command line tool

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Emacs as a command line tool
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:14:18 -0500

David Rasmussen wrote:

> Is it possible to use the many emacs tools from the command line?
> Specifically, I would like to do untabify on several files. I am sure
> that it can be done easily from within emacs. But it would still be
> useful if I could just do something like
> emacs -e untabify *.cpp
> Is it possible?
> /David

Assuming you're on Linux or unix, why not try expand on the command line?
That converts tabs to spaces. To convert spaces to tabs use unexpand.

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answered for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.