Re: How to upgrade from version 20.7

From: kgold
Subject: Re: How to upgrade from version 20.7
Date: 17 Feb 2004 21:34:07 GMT

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:
> kgold@watson.ibm.com (kgold) writes:
>
> > Since emacs doesn't use the registry, it's much easier to install than
> > most programs.  Typically one unpacks the release, sets up the path
> > and you're ready to go.
>
> Didn't Emacs 20 use addpm.exe?  I don't know what that did, though.
> So I also don't know what's needed to undo it.
>
> But maybe Emacs 21 still comes with addpm.exe, then just run the new
> one...

I install emacs on a new machine by:

1 - Drag and drop the directory from one machine to the other
2 - Drag and drop my .emacs to the new HOME
3 - Put the emacs executable in the PATH and
    put a shortcut on the task bar

I don't have to touch the registry.

The NTemacs FAQ says:

        If you run "addpm.exe", and answer OK to the message box that
        pops up then GNU Emacs will be added to your start menu, and
        certain registry keys will be created for you. This isn't
        compulsorary as in previous releases - so the choice is yours.

Perhaps the registry keys it's talking about are file associations?
Since I use gnuclient, I wouldn't want them anyway.